Monday, August 27, 2012

A Prayer for Centerpointe: People of The Book


The pace of change is incredible an increasing, which I have no problem with. I like change, especially if it makes our lives improved and more efficient; like my golf clubs. I like the improvements if it increases my chances of staying on the fairway, and if I can gain another 10 yards, well, that’s even better.

The changes that concern me though are the ones of moral consequence; the ones that tell us the behaviors that were once held in high value are no longer important or relevant. There needs to be a foundation, a standard, a boundary marker, basic principles which we can live.

For followers of Jesus, it is the Bible. The Psalmist said it this way: “I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalms 119:11 NLT-SE). Society may have a shifting set of values, but God’s Word remains the same. If we are not consistently meditating on it, our values will shift with the culture around us.

My prayer for Centerpointe Church:
Lord, like the Psalmist said, “Open our eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions” (119:18). Help us to be people of The Book. Teach us Your ways. I pray that Your Word comes to life as we read it and meditate on it. May it change us to become the people you have called us to be. 

No comments: