Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Do It Afraid


Yesterday, as Esther and I were talking to a Southeastern professor about our daughter, Brittany, I noticed a piece of paper hanging on the wall next to his desk, full of quotes from authors and leaders. They were there obviously because they struck a cord with him and were constant reminders to keep him focused and give him strength. One of the quotes was from Joyce Meyers. I had read this quote before and have reminded myself of it from time to time. I have even used it to encourage others throughout the years. It’s simple, short and powerful:

“Do it afraid”.

That’s it; just three little words, but with so much meaning.
It comes from the title of Joyce Myers’ book with the same title. For her blog post on this, go to:  http://www.joycemeyer.org/articles/ea.aspx?article=do_it_afraid.

I wonder how many times we keep ourselves from moving forward in God’s plans for our lives based on fear.

A simple search of scripture shows us that God repeatedly says, “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.” Jesus seems to constantly remind his disciples not to fear. Why? Because he is with them. 
There is no reason for us to be afraid of what others say or do, for our God is with us.

So... if you are afraid to talk to someone, or try something new – why not just step out and do it afraid. Perhaps God wants to teach you that it is not about your feelings of fear, but about His strength in your life.

My Prayer for Centerpointe Church:
Lord, I pray for the people you have put in my care today. I pray that they will be strong and courageous. I pray they will experience your presence in such a powerful way and it would make them bold and stouthearted. May they walk in Your strength, Your power and Your authority.

Amen.

No comments: