Saturday, January 26, 2013

If You're On Time You're Late!

I once heard someone say, "If you're early you're on time. If you're on time you're late. If you're late you're fired."

I realize this may be a little harsh, even though I have repeated it a time or two, but it certainly emphasizes an important leadership principle - showing up on time and ready to participate is one thing that sets leaders apart from average.

This could be a rant, but it is certainly is a pet-peeve of mine, and a real issue for many of the business owners I know.

On the negative side, being late communicates loud and clear that the meeting you are attending is not high on the priority list. It also devalues the time of everyone else that showed up. "Fashionably late" is still late, and it is reserved for kings and nobility, of which I am neither. Dedicated mediocrity is still mediocrity.

On the positive side, being early and ready for a meeting speaks to my willingness to focus and participate. There are so many wonderful conversations and insights you can gather before the meeting. It also says you care about others and look forward to working with them. If this point is not true, perhaps you need a change of jobs.

When I worked for others, I decided that I would make sure I arrived at work before my boss did and leave after he or she did. I wanted to be ready. Of course, there were times of extenuating circumstances and I was happy my boss didn't fire me. I have even forgotten a couple meetings to my embarrassment. I hate humble pie, but I have eaten my share of it. I am not as harsh as my first quote; however, I would much rather be early to a meeting than have others wait for me.

What about you? Does it bother you when others are late?

Rant Complete

Do I need a theapist?
 

No comments: