Friday, November 16, 2018

Long Obedience in the Same Direction

Eugene Peterson wrote a book by the title Long Obedience in the Same Direction. This past week, I saw this on full display.

I was with a missions team in Santiago, Chile, working on a children's center. This project has taken over eight years now, and it looks like it might be another five, depending on resources and volunteer teams; however, the missionaries are not giving up because of the significant impact this place will have on children and families in this city for generations to come.

 

One evening, a couple of us went to meet the missionary legend, Paul Hoff. Paul has trained thousands of pastors and leaders in South America through his teaching and writing. For over an hour, we sat and listened to his stories of giving his life to Jesus at age 5, his early years of learning to read the scriptures while working on his family farm in Minnesota, his obedience to the Lord in becoming a missionary, and his vision to start an independent Bible school in Chile to serve the Pentecostal movement.  He is still faithfully serving the Lord at age 94, and serving the school he founded over 40 years ago. This is a life well lived.


I have to admit, sometimes I feel like giving up when things do not happen as I had planned or as quick as I wanted. But then I am reminded by my missionary friends, God is still in control, and I have to keep moving forward. I am also reminded that my calling is more than about me, and the works God has asked me to be part of will live on far past my time here on earth.  

Galatians 6:9 says, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Keep moving. Keep serving. Keep loving. Keep laughing. Keep obeying.

Keith

No comments: