Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Experience God as Father

Join Centerpointe Church as we walk through the 40 day devotional, Experience God.

Day One: Experience God as Father

Scripture:
Romans 8:15,16, “So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.”

John 1:12–13, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”

Thought:
As I have shared in previous messages, I grew up without a father. Throughout my childhood years, I remember every day wishing I had a dad like all of the other boys: a dad to play catch with, go fishing with, talk about girls with, buy a car with, etc. Although my godly mother made sure I grew up with father figures around me, it did not completely fill the empty place inside. I heard it once said, “Growing up without a dad is like being lost in the woods without a map.” I found this to be true as I tried to figure things out on my own.

One day, I came across the passage in Romans that says our spirit cries out, “Abba, Father.” Somewhere in the notes section of the Bible, I discovered that “Abba” is the intimate word for Father, like the relational word “Daddy.”

I had a relationship with God, grew up in the church, and accepted Jesus as my Savior as a child, but after reading the Romans verse, something filled the empty place. I discovered our Heavenly Father is relational, not just a detached being out in space somewhere. I did not need to feel alone anymore because he was with me. I could not reclaim the past, but I could embrace my new understanding of God as Abba Father.

Some people grew up in a home where having a relationship with God was based more on rituals than relationship. It was more about fulfilling a duty to earn God’s pleasure, following rules and regulations. A relationship is different in that it is based on receiving God’s love rather than earning God’s love. It has boundaries like all relationships, but the premise is love.

Moving from religion to relationship is a far leap in some people’s hearts, but given time, God will make himself real to each of us.

Reflection:
Would you say your concept of God is based more on religion or relationship?

What does it mean to know that God is “Abba Father?”

How is God like a father to you?

Do you struggle with the concept of God as Father? If so, why?

Prayer:

Based on what you have read and what God is saying to you, what decisions do you need to make?






No comments: