Monday, January 07, 2019

Experience God's Rest


Experience God’s Rest

Scripture:
Psalm 63:10 “God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”

Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Thought:
Our granddaughter, Caroline Grace, brings so much joy to Esther and I. Through technology we get to Facetime with her almost every day. When she hears our voice she gives us a big smile, and our hearts melt as we witness her growth and learning. Whoever invented Facetime will get a hug from me in heaven, because they also allowed me to talk to Stephanie the year she spent in Pakistan.

On the other hand, the advancement of technology over the last few decades has also served to speed up the pace of life and fill us with new demands and stresses. The more we have, the more we want. The more we can do online, the less time we spend with others. What should give us more time to relax and enjoy life also sucks us dry and leaves us empty inside. If we are not careful, the pace of life can dry up our spiritual lives and we will miss the precious moments of God’s presence. In the chaos, Jesus steps in and says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

The New Testament word “rest” comes from the Old Testament word, "Sabbath," which is an intentional time set aside to celebrate God, to experience his peace, and be reminded that he is in control. Many people neglect this sacred area of life because it seems counterproductive, but in fact, those who take time on a regular bases for spiritual renewal have more energy and durability than those who do not.

There are two simple suggestions for addressing spiritual dryness. The first is communion with God daily, creating space to meditate on scripture and pray. The second is to take a Sabbath weekly through church attendance, allowing God to speak to you through others. What may not be the most convenient thing to practice could be the one thing needed to experience God’s abundant life.

When you find yourself in a spiritual dry time, what do you do? Why? What happens when you do this?

Reflection:
What other ways can you experience God’s rest?

Prayer:
Lord, today I confess that I am in need of some rest, so I quiet my heart and mind today to reflect on who you are and remind myself that I am your child. 

Decision:
Based on your reading, what decisions do you need to make?

No comments: