Thursday, January 05, 2012

If Our Glory Days Are Behind Us, We Will Have A Dissapointing Future

I went to visit Martinsburg, West Virginia on Monday to the place where I pastored for eight years. I met with two of my previous staff who are still good friends. I was able to go inside and stand behind the pulpit again while all of the memories came flooding in. This is a place where I was desperate for God to help us because I had no idea of what I was doing. I remember weeping at the front of the church early in the mornings and late at night. I remember repenting for the sins of the church and calling out to God for a fresh move of His Spirit. I remember going to the top of the property where it looks down on the church building and seeking God’s vision, favor and wisdom. I certainly remember the difficult moments, but the memories of God’s presence and work overshadow all of them. This is a place where God showed up. 

I don’t share this because I want to go back there. I share it because it is a place where God met me and changed me. It is a place where we saw many people came to Christ and were filled with the Spirit. It is a place where people came together to work for the cause of Christ.

Did we make mistakes – oh yea!
Did we offend some – oh yea!
Did we have all the answers – oh no!

But I thank God for those desperate moments. It was a faith season in my life and I am now moving into another challenging one, which is much greater than the past. 

If our glory days are behind us, we will have a disappointing future.

I can see just a fraction of what God wants for Centerpointe Church, but I do know it is going to be exceedingly, abundantly more than I can ask or imagine. 

No comments: